Vegan Recreation: Chick'n and Broccoli Rice

Hey everyone! I hope that you're all doing ok and keeping cool this summer (if it is summer for you). I know it has been a while since I've posted. I haven't been feeling great, I've been dealing with one of the worst fibromyalgia flares I've had in a really long time. The symptoms have been severe, including intense muscle spasm, vertigo-like dizziness, headaches, nausea, pain and indescribable fatigue. I have been completely exhausted and have been in bed unless I'm at work.... and sometimes in bed while I work. On the days where I have been dizzy I've been working from home as I didn't feel safe driving.

I have been feeling a bit better over the past few days and have been more productive. I still need to rest after doing some tasks but at least I've been able to accomplish some chores. I decided to come home during my lunch break and finish my afternoon at home which ended up being a great idea. After work I had a random burst of energy and decided to meal prep for the next few days. It ended up working out really well and I stumbled upon a convenience food recreation!



Now hear me out. I know it looks basic and let's be honest, a little trashy. But that's the point! I had a random idea to try a recreate those instant rice packet side dishes that are... let's be honest... a little trashy. I remember eating the chicken and broccoli flavor from when I was a kid and really wanted to try and make it. I knew it would come together quickly, required only a few ingredients which I happened to have, and would be a comforting, palatable meal for me right now.

I'd give you the recipe but I just kind of threw some shit in a pot and hoped for the best. I'll share how I made it and the measurements I know for sure. It started with a base of the Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base mixed with 2.5 cups of water. After it started boiling I added a cup of Jasmine rice, some soy curls (there is never actually chicken in those packets I just wanted to bulk up the dish and make it a meal instead of a side) and some finely chopped fresh broccoli. I covered the pot and let it sit for 15 minutes and it worked perfectly! I remembered the packet stuff being a little less dry than my rice was so I added an additional 1/4 cup of water mixed with a little more bouillon and it was perfect!

I don't know how or why it worked but it did. It tasted exactly like that packet but with fresh veggies, and only a handful of ingredients. I'm so glad I had the energy and ingredients to give this a try because it was something different to eat. My appetite has been off and nothing has sounded good to me so this has worked out great because I have three more servings that I'm excited to eat!


Just as a little bonus share, I made the very popular frozen yogurt bites this weekend. I made mine with Oui non dairy vanilla yogurt, fresh peaches and strawberries.I froze mine in little clusters and they look delicious but I haven't tried them yet so I'm not 100% sure how they taste. I can't imagine that they would be bad though!

So that's all I have for today. Now that I'm on the mend I'm hoping to post a little more regularly but I'm hesitant to commit to a schedule right now. I hope that you're all having a great week and I'll see you again soon 💜




Comments

  1. Thank you! I know you definitely understand better than most. The meal was honestly delicious and I'm definitely going to make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone coming to terms with my own fibromyalgia diagnosis, you have my sympathies. Thankfully my flares tend to only last a day, but they are awful days. Glad you found something to make that you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this too. It's a horrible illness and is so misunderstood. Big hugs to you, I'm here of you need me 🤗

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts