Beating The Heat!

 Hey everyone! I hope you're all doing well. I had something different planned for today's post but I'll save that for Sunday so I can share this more recent adventure. It has gotten hot very quickly here. We hit 100 degrees for the first time back in April and it has been high 90s pretty consistently since then. That combined with it being rattlesnake season has kept me off the trails and inside. However, with the 4th anniversary of Doug's death coming up on Sunday, I've taken a hit to my mental health and after it was suggested to me I decided I needed to figure out a way to get outside and just find some zen. Something I learned when I was in New Mexico is that when the temperatures climb, so do you. So up to Mount Lemmon I went.

I decided to go for a drive up the Mount Lemmon Scenic Byway to clear my head and get some fresh air. As you gain elevation, you lose degrees. When I started at the base of the mountain it was 94 degrees. It was 71 degrees at the top and 98 degrees back at the bottom once I came back down. It's pretty amazing how much cooler it was up at the top. I stopped at some of the scenic vistas and overlooks to grab some photos to share. I did skip my favorite sunset spot, Windy Point Vista, because it was super packed, but I will share some photos from there another day. I have A LOT of pictures to share from my first few months here.


It's pretty interesting to see how the landscape changes as you go up the mountain. At the base you have dense Saguaro areas that are so incredible to see. These were blooming but it's really hard to see.


I absolutely love the Saguaros and think it is so cool that you can only see them in the Sonoran Desert. I feel super lucky that I have this essentially in my backyard and that I get to see it whenever I want!


Towards the middle of the mountain you have more geological features to look at and really cool rock formations. The pictures don't do it justice and the pull off points don't offer the best views, unfortunately.





Towards the top you have more trees and the glorious cooler weather. I stopped in a cute town called Summerhaven and walked around. They had a small craft fair going on and a really cute General Store. I got myself a magnet as I've been collecting magnets from all of the cool places I've seen since I started this adventure.



I got an ad on my Facebook page a few days ago for a place called Wow Wow Lemonade. They have some delicious sounding lemonades, acai bowls, and some small bites. I commented on the ad and asked if they had vegan options and they confirmed that they did. The strawberry pineapple lemonade sounded amazing so I decided to pick one up on the way to Mt. Lemmon. The thing that I love the most is that they have a sustainable cup option where you can purchase a mason jar (they have 3 different sizes) and get 10% off of your future refills. I love this idea as a really easy way to cut down on waste and the mason jar is so cute! I also love a cup with a straw and I only have one with a really flimsy lid so I decided to go for the mason jar. I'm glad I did because I love it and I know I'll get use out of it. Oh, and the strawberry pineapple lemonade was delicious! It was pretty tart and really refreshing on a hot day.

So that is what I have for you today. On Sunday I'll be sharing my favorite thing I've done since I've been here. I did it in honor of Doug's Birthday this year so I feel it is appropriate to share on another day that I want to honor him. I hope you're all doing well and I'll see you here on Sunday! 💜

Comments

  1. That's so cool (pun not intended but hey) that the temperatures decrease at higher elevations like that! I would definitely take advantage. One summer when it was hot like that and I lived in a hot climate I drove for a full day northeast of where I was just to get a break from it. I drove to a place where it was 90 degrees instead of 105 and it felt glorious. Hang in there; summer does pass eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! The higher you go the cooler it gets! The 71° weather was such a nice relief and I love knowing that's an option now! The heat hasn't been too bad yet, I've just been staying inside and either going up the mountain or out earlier or later in the day.

      Delete
  2. Not sure if I’ve ever ever commented, but it’s so great to read your posts again. Happy to read of your newfound peace and adventures! I realize you live in the desert and I’m in the prairie/hills cusp. But, if there’s a lake, river or even a big pond near you, I have a tip. It gets hot here too, temps not as high but the humidity can be stifling. If you can be near a lake or such in the morning or evening, the breeze that comes across is significantly cooler. I work in the heat often, cool evening showers bring me back to life when I come home feeling like hot death. We are like plants, we take water in our roots as well as through our leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you so much for coming over here with me! That is a great tip! I'll have to do some research on where we have water around here. I know a lot of it dries up in the summer but we should have water flowing once monsoon season starts again. I take showers at night too, it definitely helps! Thanks for the great tip and thanks for coming back 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts