The Road to Arizona (Part 3 - Road Trip!!)

Hey everyone! I hope you're all doing well. Thank you for sticking with me while I get through this story. I think that this should be the last part of the story of how I got here. Moving forward I'll be sharing some of the amazing things I've seen since I moved here and I'll also start sharing more of my vegan food and just my day to day life in general. We are moving into my first Arizona summer and let me tell you I am NERVOUS 😂 We hit 100 degrees for the first time back in April which is pretty early. So I'll share what I do to escape the blazing heat and the meals I make to cool down and avoid heating my apartment up too much.

Anyway, back to business. Once I got home from Arizona the ball was rolling and there was no stopping it. I submitted my letter of resignation. I was still applying for jobs while packing. I had 2 and a half weeks to figure out what was most important to me as I have a small car with minimal space. I had to choose wisely. I would purchase my furniture once I got to Arizona. I only brought an air mattress so I had somewhere to sleep. 

Since I was leaving on such short notice no one was able to make the trip with me so I was going on a cross country solo road trip with my entire life in my car. It was a little nerve wracking as a solo female but I knew I would be ok. I would just be smart, careful and aware of my surroundings at all times. I spent most of the time in my car driving and when I stopped at night I was so tired I didn't want to go anywhere anyway except to grab dinner. 

This may seem crazy but I did not book a single hotel before I left. I booked my hotel for that night a few hours out. This ended up being a smart idea because my route changed a couple of times so I didn't end up stopping in the cities I thought I would. I enjoyed having the time to myself. It was quiet, I kept myself zoned in by listening to podcasts and I could do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted without having to worry about someone getting upset or mad about it.

Since it was December, sunset was pretty early so I ended up getting to the hotels after dark. I actually was happy about that because the parking lots were well lit enough for me to feel safe walking in but it was dark enough so people wouldn't see how much stuff I had in my car. It was a huge source of concern for me that someone would see everything in the car and I would get broken into but it ended up being totally fine. I brought everything visible on the back seat up to the room with me and everything else was fine.

Since this is also a vegan blog I will mention what I did for food along the way. I wanted to be as cost effective as possible since I was not working at the time, had just paid rent and had to pay for hotels and gas along the way. Additionally, it can be difficult finding vegan options on the road, nevermind gluten free vegan options. My plan was to bring some gluten free vegan food with me for breakfast and lunch and I would find a place for dinner at night once I had checked in. I brought a box of cereal with individual sized shelf stable plant milk. I would put on box of milk in the fridge the night before and it was enough for my cereal and coffee in the morning. I had apples to eat with it or I grabbed a banana from the continental breakfast if there was one. I had all kinds of snacks to eat in the car if I got hungry but I never really got super hungry during the day where I needed anything more than that. Once I checked in I would look for vegan options and grab a meal. Chipotle is a pretty safe option for gluten free vegans on the road. They are everywhere, have tons of vegan options and take allergies very seriously. I was so tired at that point from driving 10-14 hours myself, I just fed myself, showered and collapsed into bed. After my 14 hour day I didn't even bother getting dinner, I just had a snack, took a shower and went to bed.

Before I left I went to REI and got myself the America the Beautiful pass. Since I was going to be living in Tucson I knew it would pay off since I could use it for both sides of Saguaro and also Sabino Canyon. I also hope to get up to the Grand Canyon and up to the Utah parks too. On my way to Tucson I stopped in Carlsbad, NM to check out Carslbad Caverns. It was on my list when I lived in New Mexico but I didn't have a chance to go before I left. I am so happy that I decided to go because it was a perfect way to break up the last day of driving and it was absolutely incredible. If you are into caves you HAVE to go. I'll do a whole separate post on Carlsbad Caverns with lots of pics but I'll share one with you here too. 


The trip took 4 days and I covered 13 states. My route changed a couple of times and my plan changed a few times. Overall it was a great experience. I really enjoyed the time to myself, the peace and quiet and having a chance to center myself as I started the next chapter of my life. I proved to myself that I could do it alone and it felt amazing. 

I arrived in Tucson on December 5 and moved into my apartment (I have since moved out of that one and into one that I LOVE). I hit Indeed again, landed an interview for an incredibly interesting company and two weeks after I arrived in Tucson I had a job offer. I've been there for 5 months and I love it. The company is wonderful, my coworkers are great (I've been hiking with some of them and I went to the Tucson Gem Show with another!), I feel valued and appreciated. For the first time ever, I'm truly happy where I work. 

And that is where we are now. I moved into my new apartment recently and I have my new life and new routine. I still have moments of "HOLY SHIT I CAN'T BELIEVE I DID THAT' but it's feeling more real now. I took a risk to save my life and it paid off. I couldn't be more grateful for that.

I do want to mention that I was in a position where I could take these risks. I had saved since the pandemic began and I was confident that I would be able to find a job. I was nervous and I knew that I would take a hit financially but I didn't feel like I had a choice. With that said, if you are miserable and feel like your only option is to get the hell out of dodge, to quit your job, etc., do it if you can. I would recommend getting yourself into the best financial position that you possibly can before you do. But please honor yourself, your mental health and your life.

Thank you again for bearing with me during this epic story time 😂 Moving forward my posts will be more normal. I will still be sharing pictures from my first few months here but it will still be more along the lines of what my daily posts will be. Since I won't be hiking much over the summer (heat plus rattlesnakes, no thanks!) I'll be able to share the previous hikes I've done and I'll be including more vegan food posts (local restaurants, meal prep, What I Eat In A Day, budget grocery hauls, etc.).

I hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend! I'll see you on Tuesday!

Comments

  1. This is amazing! Thank you for sharing. I know what you mean about a cross-country solo trip. I have done a distance of 3 days alone, but not 4--I would have stopped a state or two back on your journey--and I have done that a handful of times. It is best as you note not to book your hotel in advance, usually. I tended to do it via Priceline once I was close to knowing where I wanted to be. America is so cool to see in that way, on the road. But it IS tiring!

    If you do it again, apples with peanut butter are usually available from hotel breakfasts, and I tend to gravitate toward that. You can also pack nut butters and things. I tended to bring along instant oatmeal packets, too, because you can prep those in the room--use the hotel's coffee mug and coffee maker for the oatmeal.

    I've been making changes in my life, too, but mine are more gradual--I'm inspired by your story to keep going, though, and to invest in what I need to invest in to make good stuff happen.

    I couldn't live in a hot climate like that anymore, but I'm happy to share how I dealt with it when I did! Enjoy your freedom. You've earned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you! Yes, I really did enjoy the road trip but it was exhausting! Those are some great tips! I did grab an oatmeal cup thing from one of the continental breakfasts because I was freezing lol. Nut butter is a great idea, thanks for the tip!

      So exciting that you are making changes! I'd love to hear about them! My email is the same if you ever need to talk anything through 🤗 and I would love some tips for dealing with this climate. I feel like all of the water has been sucked out of my body 🤣

      Delete
    2. For the climate: The main thing is to remember that what you're experiencing in summer in a hot climate should be respected like a harsh winter would be in the Midwest. You stay inside, you embrace your climate control, and you avoid the most distressing parts of the day. When it's really hot, go outside at the coolest parts of the day--after sundown, or right when the sun is coming up. I would do things like put an iced drink in an insulated cup and go for a short walk with it as soon as I woke up (and very early) just to have the experience of being outside, then feel more okay with being inside all day. (And do stay hydrated! It helps.)

      Delete
    3. Yes, I've definitely been respecting the heat! I've retreated indoors, gotten the sun shades for my car and try my best to stay hydrated. I need to be better about it but I'm definitely very aware of it! I'm going to try to do some sunrise walks because I'm going to need to get outside!! Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts