Arizona Adventures: San Xavier del Bac Mission in Tucson

Hello everyone! Happy weekend! I hope that you are all doing well. I'm really excited to share my most recent adventure which was checking out the San Xavier del Bac Mission in Tucson. It is a really important historical site in Tucson and a landmark here and a place that I had wanted to check out. My friend and her husband were planning on going and asked if I'd like to join them and I said yes! I don't have a ton of pictures because I always make an effort to not have people in my photos out of respect for their privacy (that's how I get some weird angles in my photos) and there were quite a few people there but I did the best I could!


The building was absolutely beautiful and this was a very lucky moment as there were no people visible. It was a beautiful day but hot, so we didn't stay too long.


The building construction was completed in 1797 and features Baroque architecture. It is the oldest in tact European structure in Arizona per their website (link included if you'd like to learn more about the history). It is an active church and there was actually a mass in progress when we got there, so we checked out the rest of the property until it was completed.


There is a small museum with some more information about the history of the church. You can also take a little tour where you'll learn more about the history and can ask questions if you'd like.


This is a courtyard area behind the church. I don't believe that there is visitor access to the courtyard but it was a beautiful spot on the property.


This is technically not part of the property but just off to the side there is a hill that you can climb to get a different viewpoint. There is a mountain backdrop and it is absolutely beautiful.


While it is not part of the Mission property, there is still a cross at the top of the hill. 


I did get one photo in the chapel (there were A LOT of people in there) but did not get into the mortuary. 

The San Xavier del Bac Mission was on my list of places to see around town and I'm so glad I was able to visit this National Historical site. It was an absolutely beautiful building with a lot of history and is so incredibly important to the city of Tucson. If you ever come to Tucson I would recommend checking it out.

Thank you all for joining me for another Arizona adventure! I hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend and I'll see you back here in a few days! 💜


Comments

  1. I appreciate that you don't have people in your photos! I don't want people in mine, either. I hate it when people take my picture without asking, even if they don't know me and such photos would never be connected to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do try. It's usually avoidable. If people end up in them (which is so so rare) they are really far and you'd never be able to ID them because they are too far and the resolution is too low. It feels like the most basic level of respect and I do try to respect others' privacy.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts